Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas, from China






























  





















Today was Christmas Eve here, and instead of heading to Hong Kong for sightseeing tomorrow we stayed in Guangzhou one more night.


One of the receptionists told me that many people come to Guangzhou to celebrate Christmas, so there are hundreds of people walking the streets tonight, shopping and socializing, and the hotel seems even more full than it had.  We had a nice day, beginning with yet another bountiful breakfast buffet.  We then took another stroll down the park that runs the length of this very small island and found a small shop that gives all its proceeds to orphanages, the owner also an adoptee but here in China.  Also during our stroll we were stopped by a local named James, who asked us if he could practice his english, and we happily agreed to help.  His chinese name sounds a bit like "James", but he took on James as his english name, as some chinese seem to do.  He is 19 and goes to school at night, studying english and business.  He learned most of his english by watching american movies, his favorite being Will Smith's Men in Black.  He sounded very clear, so apparently american movies are not all bad!  He wanted to talk about basketball a lot, said baseball was boring (Kevin flinched at that one) and didn't know much about american football.  We talked about american customs verses chinese customs, and he asked if Kevin wanted to "be Father Nicholas", which I guess he was really asking if Kevin was going to dress up like Santa Clause.  I giggled a bit and said no, we would be here for Christmas, and said that Santa is popular in America but so is Jesus.  Here in China people just visit one another's homes and bring small gifts, but the celebration is not as important as it is in America.   He wants badly to visit America someday, I hope he gets that opportunity.

This afternoon we got Madeline all dressed up and took some pictures around the hotel and for the first time had a chance from our busy schedule to explore the hotel a bit.  In one lounge we found birds tweeting sweetly and Madeline really enjoyed them.  She looked fabulous in her red dress, but could have used a big flowered headband to make her a bit more feminine.  For the first time since we got her, I got a "tsk" from an older lady in the lobby to cover Madeline's arms, "she's cold!".  If only she knew we were going back to a foot of snow at home, this mild weather is nothing, but I just smiled and pretended I didn't understand.  

Tonight, on my way to Subway to get our Christmas feast of ham and turkey, I passed a vendor selling santa hats and headbands with devil horns on them that blinked, made me laugh.  In the restaurant downstairs they have a special party set up with New Year's Eve type hats and blinking table decorations that lean a bit gaudy.  We tried to get into the Catholic chapel today, but it was locked, and we can't seem to find out if they are having any masses or services today.  It's ok anyway because Madeline conked out at 5:30 pm, before I even got her pajamas on, poor baby.

Pictured are scenes from around the hotel, Madeline's new shoes we picked up last week that she loves, a way to big Christmas shirt she will not be wearing this year, and oh, yes, whole baked pigeons.  I had fun snapping some shots of the items in our room service menu.  

May you all have a wonderful Christmas celebration of Christ's birth and family togetherness.  We so look forward to celebrating once we get home from a long two days of travel.  Thankfully (sarcasm) Kevin is making me listen to Garth Brook's cheesy version of Silent Night, but has also put some really great Christmas songs on the computer to help get us all in the mood!  God bless!!

7 comments:

Cassie and Lou said...

Merry Christmas!!! You will be home soon. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear all about your trip. Enjoy your last day or so! Talk to you later.

Love,
Cassie

Kerry said...

Merry Christmas!! Love you guys and can't wait for you to get home! That Must have been James you were talking to when I called!!

Oh, and look at Madeline standing there like a big girl!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!

Kerry said...

Merry Christmas. It's hard to realize that you are so far away and I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas. May His blessings, love, peace, and guidance be with you all the way. I know you ae coming home with so much....feelings, emotions, anticipation, expectations, gratitude and most importantly God's gift of Madeline.

I love you all so much and look forward to talking with you, hearing "everything" and seeing lots more pictures, hearing all about Leo's adventures and his reactions to his little sister, have your camera going as you walk in the house.

Thank you for allowing all of us to take this journey with you. It has definitely helped me feel connected and as strange as it may sound, bond with Madeline. I know it hasn't happened physically but emotionally and spiritually.

God be with you every step.

Love and prayers for always and all ways
mom
xo

Dad said...

If anyone could find a way to witness in China, I knew it would be my 'little girl'! Once a PK always a PK Jen!
Blessings on your return, and a big glass of milk awaits your anticipated homecoming!
Love,
Dad

Dad said...

If anyone could find a way to witness in China, it definitely would be my 'little girl'! Once a PK always a PK Jen! Blessings on your return trip, and know that for sure a tall glass of milk will be awaiting your anticipated homecoming.
Love,
Dad

Villanueva Family said...

Merry Christmas! I love Madeline in her red dress. Safe travels home, and don't forget to pack more then one bottle this time! Just kidding.

I too can't wait to see pictures and hear about your trip.
LYLAS
Terri

Shannon said...

Merry Christmas! We'll be home celebrating the remainder of the season with family soon. =) Madeline looks gorgeous in her finery!
My verification word is dish. Wonder if that's a reminder of all the "interesting" dishes we've had here?!