Thursday, December 18, 2008

Awake again....




So I am awake again at three am, can not seem to sleep any later.  I even took a sleeping pill, so frustrating.  I'm exhausted every day by 7 pm.  So I'd thought I'd get on and post again, not much else to do aside from read my book in the bathroom as my flashlight is dying.  

Madeline, on the other hand, sleeps great so far!  She does have to cry herself to sleep, and occasionally cries out at night, but is good at comforting herself.  If Kevin or I try to comfort her during her routine, she gets very upset.  During the night tonight, however, I thought I was dreaming when I heard this in my groggy, drug-induced sleep.  She had woken up and was happily babbling and singing, it was the sweetest little sound I've ever heard!  I'll try to catch more of her babbling on tape today.  It's heart-melting.....

Yesterday the three of us headed out to the park again, this time it was even more swamped with crowds that thankfully seemed a bit less interested in us this time.  Just about anything and everything goes on in the park, from concerts, to card playing, small groups of people playing instruments we've never seen before and singing loudly, uninhibited.  Very noisy, even for a big city.  Then we headed to market to get more water, some snacks and yes, peanut butter.  We brought a jar, but are running low!  As I could not find it, I asked a sales clerk in "very slow english" as our guide recommended, and got nothing but laughs from the sales clerks who clearly did not care what I was looking for.  This was one of the only times I've felt uncomfortable with my obvious fish-out-of-water state.  We gave up on the PB and will try to find some in Guangzhou, an even larger city we are headed to next.   We really are trying out the local cuisine, we have no choice, but everything is fried or sauteed in heavy oil so my insides are craving fruit, vegetables and milk!  Tonight at dinner they had mini steamed whole octopuses on the buffet, they were cute but I couldn't get myself to try one.  

We also bought Madeline some new shoes, hers are too small, imagine that!  If I were to take her out in just socks here, I would for sure get disapproving clucks from mostly older women to dress our baby warmer.  So far we have not, but several moms in our group have gotten the shaking finger.  In buying the shoes, we had to take a receipt to the counter, pay for them, then go pick them up, then show the receipt of payment on our way checking out with groceries.  Interesting.  

Well, I suppose I should try for more sleep.  Hope you all are having a great day and enjoying the Christmas season!  It's hard to remember it's Christmas here.....

2 comments:

Claire said...

Grace and I enjoyed seeing Madeline's videos. Glad she is progressing so well! Good luck in your search for PB!

Villanueva Family said...

It was good to talk w/ you earlier on facebook. I hope you get some sleep. I read on another blog about the layering of children and looks that they give if you don't layer them. Well, it takes a community to raise a child and they are taking that to heart. LOL

LYLAS
Terri