Before the weather turned cool and cloudy we were able to have one really beautiful day. It's been a while since we had 70 degrees in December! Today and yesterday are significantly cooler and overcast. The smog is much improved over the last city and the hotel rooms seem to be smoke-free, though no non-smoking sections in restaurants.
There are many adoptive tourist shops here on the small island called Shamain, within Guangzhou. They all have american names, such as Jennifer's, Sharon's, Susan's, Jordan's, on and on. All the shops sell dresses, outfits, trinkets, all geared toward what an adoptive family would be wanting for their daughter, or occasionally son, though most is geared towards girls. Some items we found were the infamous squeaky shoes, only found here in China, and a baseball hat that says brother in chinese. Bartering is done some, though I must admit I am terrible at that and don't really do it, if De knew that he would shake his finger at me and say "Too much!", but most items are truly inexpensive. The annual salary for the general population here would be unthinkable in the U.S.
Yesterday we ate at Lucy's Bar and Grill. The inside was decorated a bit like an Applebees, with pictures of famous american movie stars all over the walls and license plates from different states in the U.S. And of course, american music was playing. I also treated myself to a Starbucks, and walking inside I was met with Ray Charles belting out 'Little Drummer Boy' and that familiar coffee smell, mmmm.... Overall, Guangzhou, or at least the island we are on, is very similar to Charleston, SC, but the buildings are taller and most words anywhere are in Chinese.
Anytime we walk through a park here and in Nanchang, the posted rules are written in Chinese and in English. However, I believe some of the meaning gets a bit lost in translation, here are a few of our favorites.
No Bugling
All boats must tie up to the dork
I sure feel sorry for all the dorks, having to lug around all those boats.....haha. Today is our last day in Guangzhou, or so we think. We are having a bit of a change in plans which I can elaborate more on later when I know more. We are all doing great and anxious to come home to our family with its' newest member, she's a great addition. Oh, and the White Swan gives each family a Barbie holding a Chinese baby, Mattel only makes them for this occasion. Makes me laugh, mostly because I'm not so sure I can relate to Barbie, especially after the way I've eaten this week.
This might be our last post, so we'll "see" you all back on American soil. We hope to get a picture of all the babies on the infamous red sofa before leaving, but things are a bit busy so we'll have to work to get it in. Love and hugs to you all, thank you for coming on our journey with us and for the wonderful messages and prayers.
6 comments:
Keeping you in our prayers that all is okay and you get home soon!!! Lots of love from cold Nebraska!!
Ditto, hope all is okay. Hoping maybe your plans changed cause your coming home early! That would be nice!
God, please be with them in their travels and as they bring Madeline home.
Terri
Your comments with each posting reveal the real depth of bonding that has/is taking place, and it is so beautiful to witness. We are all privileged to see the birth of a new life in such a brief time (finally). You are bringing home an adventure that most can only imagine, so know that God will give you both the grace and knowledge to meet all the situations to come. This is and has always been God's promise to you, now fulfilled in such delicate fingers and eyes. Madeline is so precious, darlin'! And so are you two...real pioneers every bit as much as those who crossed the prairies in another generation. Simply amazing!
Dad
I think we definitely look like Barbie holding our new little ones! Ahh, yes, those poor dorks are in my thoughts as well. :)
I am totally loving the Barbie....and no shooting birdies! Cannot wait to see you/hear you are back!
Prayers are with you every bit of the way. God guide and protect you as your journey brings you home safe and sound to Leo. Love and prayers always an dall ways
mom
xo
Post a Comment