We have always, always been open about sharing our adoptions stories. Partly due to us wanting our kids to know how proud we are of them and the joy they bring our family. We want them to know they were divinely chosen by God to miraculously make it to our family, and we're proud of their stories. Additionally, we are also fairly open about what led us to adoption to begin with, that being our infertility. I share our story openly in hopes that others may know there is hope past that pain, and further that adoption is chocked full of hope and blessings.
All this being said, it never fails that someone, usually a casual acquaintance or even a stranger, inquires "are these yours" as our daughter clearly looks nothing like us. We then get a story about how her cousin's best friend's aunt's niece did 7 failed IVFs, then filled out paperwork to adopt, only to wind up surprisingly pregnant. Then they look at me for a moment, to see if I got the point that really we just need to relax, and it will happen for us, too. But here's where they are missing the point. I am so proud of our family, how it has grown, the stories we have. I feel so lucky every time I nuzzle a kiss in their neck amidst their giggles. We have been married for nearly 14 years, and I am under no illusion that we will ever conceive. And if we did, miraculously? I'd be elated. But if we are sent our miracle by another means? I'd be ecstatic, because just as much as we are an answer to someone's prayer, they are an answer to ours. And that's not an answer I can ever get across in a simple response to someone's story of their friend's dog's cousin's owner who just needed to relax.

1 comment:
your kids actually remind me a lot of you two...they are funny, caring, and have sweet hearts. and that is way more important than resembling in looks. love how candid you are in sharing your adoption stories. that is a true blessing to many people.
Post a Comment